From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 06:59:54 -0500
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:06:31 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> > However, studies show that *dietary* AA is
>> >not a problem, because it is *not* converted to the series 2
>> >eicosanoids.
>> What is the difference then? why is the one converted, the other not?
>
>It turns out that dietary AA is preferentially taken up by red
>blood cells, which lack an enzyme (cyclo-oxygenase, I think)
>necessary to turn them into series 2 eicosanoids.  So they have
>little effect on prostaglandin balance.

Hm, don't you think that the storage capacity of red blood cells can be
exhausted after some time?
Then they would act only as a temporary buffer (enough for a study).
What happens to the AA when red blodd cells die and are recycled in the
spleen?

>> Wouldn't it be wiser to eat less AA (which in turn could be "released"
>> later).
>
>Wiser than what?

Wiser than to rely on red blood cells buffering of AA?

Ken Stuart wrote:
(i wrote):
>> Where's the reference that protein does this (undoubted but
>>possibly not the best way). Adding fat to a meal does the same job of
>>slowing carb digestion. Eating slow carb/glucose elevators may be even
>>better. Or fighting the insulin spikes by normalizing carb metabolism,
>>best.

> If you read any of Sears' Zone writings, he says that adding protein to
>every  meal stimulates glucagon, which is antagonistic to insulin
>(simplistic  paraphrase).

That's right - still i miss the reference why and where this was called into
citations. Where is the study?

Insulin and glucagon work against each other.
Many glucagon actions require "absence of insulin" and vice versa.
It would be very senseless for the body to release glucagon in an insulin
spike. Like pressing gas and the breakes simultaneously.

Glucagon is the darling because it stimulates release of fat storage (what a
glamorous fact).
That doesn't automatically imply that it suppresses insulin secretion or
fights the insulin action on EFA's.
If blood sugar is high, release of insulin is lifesaving to bring it down to
a healthy level and to allow tissues using it.
Why should eating (much) protein be the argument for the body to leave the
blood sugar elevated?

Eating protein slows digestion in the stomach much (until the protein is
cracked up). I think *this* is the working of protein against glucose (and
insulin) spikes.
Unnecessary for paleo/natural eaters. They don't have glucose spikes. Only
moderate elevation.

regards

Amadeus