Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 15:10:27 -0600
william wrote:
> Geoffrey Purcell wrote:
>>
>> Re technology:- People have been trying for ages to find out the one
>> unique innate quality or cultural behaviour  that separates humans
>> from all other animals, and have  failed time and again,  as it was
>> found that things like laughter and tool-use etc. are present in
>> other species too. Crows are well-
>> known to frequently  use tools:-
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3qhuz
>>

> How about lying?
Nature is full of deception.
> Or, maybe better (or worse), how about faith?
Like buffalo or sheep running off cliffs to their death?

Or do you mean the propensity for some humans to anthropomorphise?

It seems to me that "faith" is just a more elaborate form of deception
(even self deception), hijacked by the "priestly" types to extract goods
and services from others deceptively.  Faith is just the ability to
continue to function in the face of an uncertain future.  Animals act on
faith when they migrate.
> William
Steve