From:
Elizabeth Beasley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:47:01 -0500
I just asked my husband (he is an ancient coin dealer and specializes in
ancient Roman coins) and he has done research for over 10 years. This is
what he said:

"The grain supply from Egypt was essential for the masses, but they did eat
meat as available. They had oxen to plow the fields and grains were very
important to feed a great deal of people, but meat was available. I don't
really know what levels of society ate what in any quantities though.
Massive numbers of animals were used in the gladiatorial games and I can't
imagine them not eating them afterwards."

I hope that helps!

--Elizabeth