From:
Kent Multer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 1998 17:14:26 -0500
Hey, I bought one of those a few months ago and I really like it!  Here are
some thoughts:

>        I just bought the American Harvest Snackmaster dehydrator. It
>came with all sorts of funky spices that aren't Paleo. What do you
>use to process jerky instead?

Someone already pointed out that you can just slice the meat and dry it as
is.  But I've been experimenting with "caveman kosher" marinades, based on
some ideas from Ray's book, such as his barbecue sauce.

I start by squeezing a couple of oranges, and maybe a lemon.  Then I add
onion and garlic; and the instructions say to use 1 tsp. of salt per pound
of meat to prevent spoilage while it's marinating.  To that basic recipe, I
add fun stuff.  Ginger is great!  I also like curry, and hot pepper sauce
(caution -- may contain vinegar or other non-paleo ingredients).

If you grind the beef instead of slicing it (or have the butcher do it), it
will hold all the ingredients from the marinade, rather than letting them
drip off and be lost.  I often use fresh garlic, onion, or ginger, dicing
'em up fine.  That plus the orange juice pulp hopefully adds some extra
nutrients.  I've considered trying choppped mushrooms, peppers, or tomatoes
too -- maybe turning the meat snack into a more complete meal?

>Alos, a book I got suggests the best process for drying fruits
>is to sulphur them first. Ack. I'd rather not - after all, this
>diet is about avoiding chemicals! What do you all do to dry your
>fruits?

That's probably to prevent them from turning brown in the dryer.  Here's a
much better idea:  dissolve a couple of 1000mg vitamin C tabs in a quart of
water.  Soak the fruit in that for a minute or so; it'll keep 'em looking
nice.  (This is not needed for all fruits; check the instructions that came
with the dryer.)

Instead of the vit. C, the booklet says that you can use orange juice.  I
just tried this for the firt time last night; the apple slices are still in
the dryer.  They look fine, and have a bit of orange flavor to jazz 'em up.
 I didn't saok them; I just dipped the slices in the juice and swirled them
around a bit.

Another thing I like to do with apple slices is sprinkle cinnamon on them
before I start the dryer.  Also, leaving them a little longer than normal
-- 15-16 hrs. -- gives them a bit of a crunchy texture, similar to the
apple chips you can buy in the supermarket, but without the sugar and other
chemicals.

Note:  with all these recipes, don't be afraid to use plenty of seasonings.
 The drying process seems to make them lose some of their punch.

Have fun!