From:
jlpresto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 20:36:22 +0900
Pashinka,

<What IS the greatest source of calcium in the paleo diet?  Thanks,
Pashinka

I think that we get lots of calcium from green leafy stuff.  Every day
I eat
spinach or other leavess that I don't know the names of in English.
These
are a regular part of Chinese and Japanese diets.  I often use them in
place
of bread to make my sandwiches.  Per mass, they have a good
concentration of
calcium, I think more than dairy products.

I also chew more cartilage, and bones, than non-paleo eaters, and I
eat
small fish with small bones frequently and occasionally larger ones
unintentionally!

Many other vegetables and other paleo foods (nuts?) have fair amounts
of
calcium.  I wish I could be more specific, but I think the more
convincing
argument is that by not eating dairy and grains, you are not
interfering
with the body's absorbtion of calcium.

I wish I could remember where I read studies about some groups in
Africa
with very low calcium intake and virtually no osteoporosis.  Which is
my
main concern. There is a "no dairy" or somesuch name site on the Web,
it has
good information also on non-dairy sources of Ca.

Hopefully someone else will respond with more specific foods