From:
Joe Smolinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 07:31:25 -0400
Kathy Partridge at <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The reason I'm perplexed: I can't seem to lose weight on this program. , I
did what I consider to be ultra-low carb, no more than 10-15 g per day, all
from veggies. I did lose 3 lbs. early on ..... I'm pretty sure I didn't go
into ketosis.<

Ketosis is an individual thing, and I have heard many more women complain
about not getting into it than men.  Maybe a gender thing, maybe not.

I need to go near ZERO carbos and plenty of fat to have a Keto-Stix turn
purple.  Then If I stay at 10g or under, I can consume nearly 4000 calories
a day with no weight gain.  (On a 60/20/20 diet, I can only consume about
2400 with the same effect).  The only way I was able to determine this was
experimentation with my own body, keeping a diary.  It took a while, but
know I know my "window" of good eating <vbg>.

I'm sure you read the warnings about Ketosis, so I'll just say that I have
always been sure to take a mega-multiple vitamin while in ketosis.  I also
supplemented with additional potassium.  (I have heard that potassium
supplementation helps with the doldrums that occur after the first week of
no-carb, I never experienced that feeling - rather the contrary).

So to finally answer your question, when I need to get back into a weight
loss mode, I eliminate ALL carbos for a week, maybe 2, then slowly
reintroduce carbos again.  It seems to work for me.