From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 19:42:34 -0500
On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Don Wiss wrote:

> >Is it OK to use jerky made from ground meat for the pemmican?
>
> The problem with ground meat is the fat. You want to remove all the fat
> before you dry the meat. For keeping qualities the only fat you want is fat
> that has been rendered.

I've used ground meat, and as long as it is at least 91% lean,
there's no problem.  The supermarket near me sells either 91%
lean or 93% lean as their "extra lean" grade.  Another
possibility is to buy a lean cut and have the butcher grind it
for you, instead of slicing it.  The only advantage to working
with ground meat is (a) you can used one of those "jerky gun"
gadgets (like a caulk gun); (b) if you're using spices, ground
meat has far more surface area, so the spice gets into the meat
thoroughly; (c) if you're going to make pemmican, the jerky from
ground meat falls apart readily.  I haven't made pemmican in
years, but I make jerky for snacks, road trips, etc.

Todd Moody