From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 07:56:34 -0500
Are you sure, Todd?  I know that grassfed beef contains ten times the
beta carotene as grain fed.  Since the body can readily convert beta
carotene to vitamin A, I'd think you'd be able to get more than
sufficient amounts.  But I'd need to do the math.  Here's some info:

"Descalzo et.al., 2005, found pasture-fed steers incorporated
significantly higher amounts of ß-carotene into muscle tissues as
compared to grain-fed animals. Concentrations ranged from 0.63 – 0.45
µg/g and 0.06 – 0.5 µg/g for meat from pasture and grain-fed cattle
respectively, a 10 fold increase in ß-carotene levels for grass-fed
beef. Similar data is reported by Simonne, et.al., 1996; Yang et.al.,
2002a; and Wood and Enser, 1997, presumably due to the high ß-
carotene content of fresh forage as compared to cereal grains
(Simonne et al., 1996)."

Jim