From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 07:19:14 -0500
On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Jason Marsh wrote:

> The Ten Commandments also say Do Not Eat: Grains, Beans, Potatoes, Dairy,
> and Sugar. Would taking any of these foods out of the diet make someone
> sick? If so, why? A person's genes may not have been altered from eating
> these foods but the person may develop a physiological or psychological
> dependance on them. Taking them away may make a person feel awful.

If Justin's friend is in ketosis, the fatigue could be a common
symptom of electrolyte depletion from the diuretic effect of the
diet.  In short, taking away the Forbidden Fruits can increase
one's need for salt and potassium.  This is precisely the problem
that results from thinking of the paleo diet in terms of what it
excludes.

There is good clinical evidence that the fatigue that commonly
results from a ketogenic diet is avoided by extra salt.
According to Phinney (who conducted studies of the response of
endurance athletes to ketosis), 4 or 5 grams/day of supplemental
salt is needed to avoid the fatigue.

I realize that added salt is itself considered a Forbidden Fruit,
but this injunction does not take into consideration the
peculiarities of ketosis (How typical is ketosis among
primates?).  The details matter.

Incidentally, I have recently tried the procedure of soaking
bacon in water overnight.  I find that the soaked bacon is still
fairly salty (which I like).

Todd Moody