From:
Bill Dooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:13:26 -0800
 >detox vs. adjustment

This notion comes up from time to time on various diet lists. The only
common denominator I've seen is that any drastic change in diet can
cause temporary upset to the digestive system until it adjusts to the
new regimen. On a couple of occasions, after following paleo pretty
strictly for some time, I succumbed to the old ways, once at an all you
can eat sushi bar and one at a Mexican place. I guess I was "detoxing"
from paleo. Got a lot of reading done in the bathroom...

 >rotation diet vs. variety

Another recurring theme is the rotation diet, a way of coping with
various real or suspected food sensitivities that do not qualify as true
allergies. A diet including a wide variety of foods would take care of
this automatically. After half a century of eating a very small range of
foods, I find I have some resistance to trying new things. Finding them
is tough, too. Although there are quite a few vegetables and herbs at
the local Albertson's that I've never tried, and a number of types of
fish, there is little variety in meat or poultry. The three supermarkets
and Trader Joe's in town never have duck eggs. I've seen rabbit once in
two years (it was OK). Had a buffalo steak in a restaurant once (good!).

The guy who conducts foraging tours in New York can find something like
20 edible plants in a stroll through a city park. I don't fancy myself
an outdoorsman ("Ooh, what nice mushrooms!"). After the options in local
markets are exhausted, what to do?

Bill Dooley