From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 15:04:27 -0500
I spent a couple of summers in the Bay Islands of
Honduras, and saw coconuts used in a lot of ways.
For green coconuts, they chopped off the top with
a machete....didn't remove the outer husk first, tho.
Inside, the immature coconut was all a sweetish
jelly.....as it matures, it forms the harder white "meat"
inside the shell.     When they opened a mature coconut,
they poured the liquid into a bowl, then scraped the
meat from inside the shell with a tool made from an
old car spring......fastened to a board.  They rasped
the meat out of the shell, wrapped the scrapings in
a piece of the almost fabric-like stuff that grows
around the palm trees, and twisted it to squeeze the
thicker juice out of the meat.   This, mixed with the
first liquid was what they called coconut milk.   The
solids were given to the chickens and pigs, unless
someone wanted it for cookies or bread...........

Then someone fetched a conch out of the little wire
pen they kept in the bay, removed it from its shell,
pounded the meat on the dock planks with the back
side of a machete blade, then cut it up, dropped it
into a bowl and squeezed lime juice over it.  For
supper, the conch meat went into a pot, with the
lime juice, a little water was added to boil it a few
minutes, then the coconut milk was added.  Absolute
heaven to eat.  The lime juice gave it a perfume that
should be worth millions of dollars.

Preparing meals in primitive conditions can be an
all-day affair..........seems to me they added yucca
root, or potatoes to the conch stew too, but I don't
remember exactly................

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.