Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:49:59 -0400
"C. ten Broeke" posted:
>>>I eat strictly Paelo and seem to be gaining weight.
>>Could it be the nutflour cookies and pancakes/roti's that I've eaten
with my meals?  The kebab with nutflour roti's are an absolute treat and
the boys here fight over them.

Reply:
You've got it.  Nuts contain 800 calories per cup.  You could eat 7 bananas
or small sweet potatoes, 8 large apples, 16 cups of strawberries, or more
cups of spinach than you can imagine, for the same # of calories.  Of course
you'd probably not eat that amount of the other foods.  Nut cookies, cakes,
and breads are not paleo; they are extremely calorie dense and easily lead
to overconsuming calories.  High fat, high calorie density foods promote fat
gain.  If you eat more low calorie/high nutrient density foods, you can fill
your stomach without filling out your clothes so mcuh.

You don't have to give up fruit or do a ketogenic diet to lose weight.  Nix
the nuts or use them as condiments, maybe a tablespoon or two over a serving
for fruit or vegetable salad with some lean meat and you will cut your
calorie intake tremendously.

3 or 4 figs or apricots a day (dried) should not pose a problem if the bulk
of your food is fiber rich vegetables, some lean proteins, and fresh fruits.
I have watched many others balloon out or halt weight loss loading up on
nuts, seeds, oils, bacon, and other high fat, low volume foods.

>>>So no carbs at all could be the solution. Suggestions?

I don't recommend this.  It never worked for me and has failed for many
people I know.  I suggest that you consume a lean protein portion the size
of the palm of your hand at each meal (that is 3 to 4x a day) with 3 to 5x
as much leafy green and colorful fibrous veggies and fruits (by volume) at
each meal, with minimal amounts of added fats or oils, such as flax oil,
fish oil, xv olive oil or a garnish of nuts or avocado.

You can eat a very generous amount of food this way, which satisfies the
need to chew and provides a feeling of satiation.  This way of eating also
provides more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants than an ultra low carb
ketogenice diet.  It also prevents the acidification that is created in the
body on high protein, low carb diets.

Rachel Matesz,
The Healthy Cooking Coach