Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:10:50 EDT
In a message dated 9/27/02 3:24:57 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Seems
>to me that if paleo man ate so few carbohydrates that he was in ketosis
>all the time,

We would have not been in ketosis all the time -- just during the
non-fruiting or winter season when carbohydrates were scarce to nonexistent.
We would have probably spent much of our time sleeping/hibernating -- and
more than likely the women already had buns in the oven for spring time
births -- evidence among other primates is that reproduction is closely tied
to availability of carbohydrates and probably a lot of sex occurred in
summer.

>>Doesn't the very fact that ketosis breath smells
repulsive mean it's not the evolutionarily preferred condition?>>

I can't imagine a little *bad breath* (some describe it as fruity) would
stopped any man (or woman) from having sex -- I imagine that paleo man/woman
were at least as horny as modern humans if not more so. Doubt seriously if
the rest of their hygiene, oral and body, was too particular anyway. Perhaps
all the natural odors were part of the mix then -- now everything is masked
over with perfumes, deodorants, minty mouth washes, etc., (does that stuff
really smell good; is it sexy? Or has Madison Avenue conned our senses?) Our
pheromones don't have a chance -- more significant question is how we moderns
ever manage to have sex.
Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>