From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 07:51:09 -0500
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:59:10 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I intend to ask the experts on the Paleodiet Symposium about
>this, since caribou are allegedly quite lean.  Where were they
>getting enough fat from?

I still wonder, have you got answer?

Fom http://www.westonaprice.org/caveman_cuisine.htm :

"Steffanson, who studied the Eskimos and Indians of the far north, reports
that when lean caribou was the only meat available, anxiety set in. These
natives knew that a month or more on such meat, without the addition of
marine animals or fatty fish,
would make them sick and prone to disease.

The ancient tribes of the American West would not eat female bison in the
Spring because nursing and pregnant bison cows burned off their fat reserves
during the winter months. In fact, most bison hunts occurred in the late
Summer and Fall when the bison were naturally fattened on the ripe grain of
prairie grasses. Anthropologist Leon Abrams reports that the Aborigine will
throw away a kangaroo he has killed if he discovers that its carcass does
not contain sufficient fat."

This doesn't sound like thriving.

Amadeus