From:
"Elle W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:12:54 EST
I've been following the thread on how many people actually DO this...I had
purchased the book by Ray Audette a while back, intermittently would refer to
it.  Had started working with the Zone also...have a 40 year history of
eating disorders/obesity (I am 51) blah blah blah....Anyhow, the research
material coming out about hyperinsulinemia really made sense to me because I
have known for the longest time that my binging seems to be more of a
physiological allergic reaction than any psychological or spiritual problem!
(Not that I don't have those, but they're not related to what my body does
with food : )) The Zone would balance me out, but I continued to have awful
hives on a regular basis, cognitive confusion, heart would beat at 160 beats
a minute after some meals for hours, extreme exhaustion.  I felt like I was
dying.  Tried dealing with it as hypoglycemia, but it didn't get better.
Recently I decided to go ahead and deal with whatever I had to do in terms of
deprivation in order to get better, and went on the plan recommended in
Neanderthin.  I had certainly tried everything else from natural hygiene, to
Atkins, to anything you can think of.  Well, my hives have disappeared for
the first time in 7 years.  My arthritis is better.  I can think.  My sleep
disturbance is even improved. Two days ago, I considered adding some dairy
back into my diet...ate 4 oz of cottage cheese and my body broke out into
severe hives and I was back on megadoses of benadryl.  Today I know that for
whatever reason, this body can only handle eating meat, vegetables, fruits
and nuts.   (Soy, peanuts and anything with yeasts are guaranteed to cover my
body with hives). And I am willing to live with that.
I can also add that the weight is dropping off, although I am eating to
satisfaction and have no impulse to binge.  Binging for me seemed to be
directly related to sugars and especially grains.

Now, I have a question.  Even though I am eating paleo, I have still tried to
balance out my protein and carbohydrates per the Zone or paleozone.  Is this
what most people do, or do you find that your blood sugar stays stabilized no
matter what you eat?  Sometimes I wish I could just eat an apple without
having to have a chunk of meat with it...but after the cottage cheese thing I
am a little afraid of experimenting.

So I guess people only do this way of eating when they have suffered
enough....in my case anyhow.

I appreciate all of the posts.

Elle