From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 1998 08:33:59 -0400
Does  anyone have a suggestion for preparing the leaves of
prickly pear cactus?  I brought home a bag yesterday after
being surprised to see them in a produce section here in
northeast Ohio.  I recalled a section of one of Dr. Bob
Arnot's books where he explainted the sad history of the
Native American Pima of Arizona who crossed the Bering
Strait 30k years ago and populated the desert region.  He
notes that some researchers have isolated genetic traits
whcih allowed the Pima to thrive in the spare desert but
that set them up for dietary disaster when they were exposed
to the carbo-sugar diet available through the government in
the late 19th century.  They have the highest documented
incidence of diabetes on the planet according to Dr. Arnot.
But he mentions the native foods that had properties
protective of their genetic pattern and , specifically,  the
slow digesting soluble fiber of many desert plants inclusive
of prickly pear leaves. Arnot cites a study indicating a
dramatic drop in cholesterol and triglycerides and in blood
sugar associated with prickly pear intake.  Other wild foods
were mentioned as well which, in combination with the intake
of desert game, had allowed the Pima to prosper.
    Well,  I have a bag full of leaves;  should I throw them
on the grill,  chomp them like fruit or something else??
Looking forward to suggestions from the southwest.  Rick