From:
"Dr. James Alpigini" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 05:30:38 -0400
>>It is my understanding, from Lyle's book, that neoglucogenesis only occurs
>>when the body does not have sufficient glucose.  I could be wrong, and I
>>suppose he could be.
>
>My direct experience of Lyle is that his business is to be a "Professional
>Person Who Looks Like He Knows Something To People Who Will Pay For That".
>
>In contrast to people like Loren Cordain or Mary Enig, who actually know
>something....

Well, that is not totally correct.  Lyle is not an MD, nor does he
claim to be
one.  His degree is a BS in Physiological Sciences, meaning that he is
essentially a sports trainer.  He is quite open with his knowledge and
has
helped me to sort out my own workout and supplements.  He has written
a book,
"The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter and
Practitioner".  This
is an outstanding body of work.  It is the most thoroughly researched
"diet
book" I have ever seen.  It is less a diet book than a reference
manual!  It
deals with all major aspects of the low carbohydrate diet and backs up
virtually every statement with appropriate citations.   To make his
"diet"
paleo simply requires the deletion of dairy products.  My personal
opinion is
that Lyle's book and Ray's book belong on your shelf side by side.

James at Penn State.