From:
Jan Harkness <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:53:55 -0600
Hi Greg, I'll come out of lurkdom to answer your question about feeding dogs
the natural way.  I have a three year old Lab, Sadie, and she has never
eaten a meal of dry kibble or canned food since we adopted her at 8 weeks.
She is extremely healthy.  Her coat shines, her eyes are bright and her
teeth are extraordinarily strong and white.  We winter in AZ in the desert
and ride four wheelers almost daily.  She runs for miles and when she gets
tired she hops on and rides for a while and then runs more.  I have never
been owned by a dog with such stamina.  (they do own us, don't they?)

I feed her eggs in the mornings, sometimes with mixed veggies, and a half a
cornish game hen at night (raw), usually with some veggies.  She will eat
veggies raw or cooked.  She gets plenty of calcium and minerals from the
bones in her meat.  I don't give her beef bones because she is a buryier and
they rot, then she digs them up and brings them to me a month or so later.
I never give her cooked bones. I give her beef heart and beef liver once a
week, also. Her favorite is heart.

I guess I basically follow the BARF diet for her.  BTW, she does put weight
on during the summer when she is not exercising as much, so I have to cut
back on her food.  My vet is worried that she isn't getting enough vitamins.
Just the sort of comment I would expect from one who sells bags of cancer
causing crap in her lobby.

I really do enjoy all the information I get from this list.  Thanks to all
of you.

Back to lurkdom,
Jan in CO