From:
Kim Tedrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 20:22:54 EST
In a message dated 11/8/99 2:24:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
<< In Dr. Mandell's "5 day Allergy relief System", a book I read while trying
 to work through my food allergies, he refers to another Dr.'s work which
 stated that alchoholism is actually an addiction caused by an allergy to a
 food (carb food) included in the alchoholic's favorite drink. >>

As a recovering alcoholic, I would say this is a dangerously false statement,
which implies that an alcoholic can reasonably tolerate alcoholic beverages
if he or she switches to a drink that is derived from a non-allergenic food
(for example switching from beer (non-paleo, grain) to wine (paleo, berries).
Most recovering alcoholics will tell you that that is usually not the case.

I would be more likely to relate alcoholism to diabetes -- I have heard in
more than one forum that the two diseases are kissing cousins.  My subsequent
experience with carbohydrates and insulin metabolism in sobriety certainly
supports this.

I like best Ray Audette's characterization of alcohol as "yeast urine".  :-)

Kim