From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:56:58 -0500
> My friend's daughter was diagnosed with appendicitis.
>
> Now I recall reading somewhere appendicitis is caused by high carb, non
> paleo diet. Am I right??

I think there's still controversy as to the cause.

> Anyway, what is the story on appendicitis?

  Briefly, and non-technically, (and if I recall correctly,) the
appendix is  part of the lymphatic system, a little "finger" located off
to the side where the small and large intestine meet.  It filters some
of the "garbage" from our bodies.  If it gets conjested, it can get
infected, ie. appendicitis.  If it swells up and bursts from the
infection, peritonitis (the infection of the sterile abdominal cavity by
the bacterial contents of the ruptured appendix) ensues.  Left untreated
by antibiotics, peritonitis is fatal.  (Begore the advent of
antibiotics, a ruptured appendix was fatal.  That's why they never
hesitated to take them out, like they do these days.)

Also, she looked at more risk from the drugs she is now on, than the
appendicitis?

> Anyway, they took her in and made a huge incision in her.

My incision scar goes from 1" above my navel to just below the pubic
hair line--almost 10" long and 1/2" wide.  It had 3 staples only, to
leave enough of the cutaneous layer open to drain off residual
infection. I had a ruptured appendix that perforated the bowel.  The
remains of the appendix were never found, and I had 15" of small and
large bowel removed and resected.  A critical piece there called the
cecum was removed.  The cecum harbors the greatest quantity of
beneficial bacteria that manufacture B vitamins, vitamin K and help
assimilate many minerals.  It also serves as a valve to regulate the
flow of waste into the colon.  I was in ICU for two days and on IV
antibiotics, morphine and demerol for nearly two weeks. I was eating a
vegan diet for years before and after this happened (at age 31).  I've
not been "right" and have declined ever since.  Paleo has helped, to a
degree.

If the girl's appendix was removed before it ruptured, she is lucky.
(Five doctors futzed around with my complaints for ten days,
then...kabam!)  Any time the peritoneum is exposed to intestinal
bacteria, as it would be in an appendix removal, antibiotics must be
used as a precaution to peritonitis.

> Now she is on large doses of painkillers in her I.Vs and also a heavy dose
> of antibiotics. She is sleeping almost all the time.....

I begged every two hours for demerol ten days in a row.  I couldn't wear
anything with a waist band for six months, and was still tender to the
touch for another three months after that.  My brother had appendicitis,
but his appendix did not rupture.  He was fine after about two weeks.