From:
Johnny Battle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:56:00 -0800
> 1. Fruit of today is much richer in sugar and available plant tissue than
> fruit of the olden days.

I have heard this said, but where does this idea come from? How we know what
fruit tasted like in paleolithic times?  My experienc has been that wild fruit
off the vine is *better* tasting than store-bought fruit.

> I have eaten wild fruit in Hawaii a number of times

> and am always struck by how many more seeds there are, and how much extra
> work it is.

I'll bet the paleos would have eaten most of the seeds, too :-)

> 2. There is fruit available all year around while that wasn't true in paleo
> times.

What, nobody lived along the equator in paleo times? One theory has equatorial
africa as the cradle of human evolution.

> 3. It is easy to gorge on anything now in quantity, but this doesn't mean we
> should do so. Our bodies are not always designed to regulate how much of
> something we eat, especially sweets. Many of us will over-consume unless we
> have external regulation or are really careful

Part of my thesis was that the impulse to overeat to the point of nausea seems,
in my case at least, to have been caused by eating the genetically wrong foods.
I don't feel like overeating when I'm having lean meat, fruit, veggies. When I
eat a lot of these at a meal, I don't feel bloated and I don't get indigestion.
I just eat 'til I'm satiated and I feel good afterwards. That wasn't true for
Doritos or pizza.

> Eating too much fruit consistently is not paleo. Eating a lot of fruit
> occasionally, in season, might be considered a "paleo pattern."

Depends on what is meant by "too much." I've noticed a certain dietary
puritanism  among every diet system I've come across. (This isn't meant
personally. I'm not pointing a finger at you) Some people seem to think that if
something (like fruit) tastes great there must be something wrong with eating
it. Evolution seems to have programmed us to really enjoy the food we have
evolved to eat: "Umm Yummy, sweeeeet fruit. I think I'll climb this tree and eat
my fill."  Sounds like a pretty unsophisticated and, well, paleolithic thing to
do. Diet, like sex, should be pretty straight forward and fun, and not require
me to have a calculator and library of food books while I trot around in the
forest looking some action.

John B