From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 20:09:01 -0500
On 07/15/98 10:35:40 Todd wrote:

>In short, there is something highly questionable about adducing
>the Samburu as evidence of the safety of beef but not using them
>as evidence of the safety of (raw) milk.  Or again, we cite the
>Okinawans as evidence of the benefits of pork but neglect to cite
>them as evidence of the safety of rice.
>
>Todd Moody

In my readings (can't remember where) I learned that the milk in that african tribe was
fermented.  The fermentation process breaks down the proteins in the milk, as well as the
lactose sugars, I believe.

The foreign proteins are the main culprit to our health, if I understand Ray's Neanderthin book
correctly.

Therefore, drinking fermented milk in africa is not a good comparison to drinking non-fermented
milk in the US.

Also, if we have made any adaptation to milk it would be from drinking non-pasteurized milk,
which possibly contains enzymes that make it easier to digest.  By destroying the enzymes and
keeping the milk un-fermented I believe it is more difficult to digest.  People who are "lactose
intolerant" (i.e. normal) can comsume much more acidopholous milk or yogurt than ordinary milk
without ill effects.

Obviously there are northern Europeans who have maintained the lactase enzyme in their
intestines from infancy, so there is some adaptation.  Does anyone have further information
about this adaptation?  Being of northern european descent (and enjoying milk) I would like to
know if I would experience less damage from the milk proteins, which I have no trouble
digesting, than other people.

James Crocker ([log in to unmask])
| "A friend of mine once sent me a post card with a picture |
|  of the entire planet Earth taken from space. On the back |
|  it said, 'Wish you were here'."                          |                     |
|     - Steven Wright                                       |