From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 08:04:24 -0500
Let's face it, no one's going to buy "sliced pork belly, please remove the
skin"!  Anyway, if the term bacon refers specifically to cured meat, then
I've seen "uncured bacon" inappropriately labeled in stored as just that.
 I think it's just for lack of a better term.

Take care,
John Pavao

I believe you are right.  Bacon is a cured meat.  But a lot of people
wouldn't know what you were talking about if you said to go to the
store and by side meat.  It could also be described as unsalted salt
pork, too, but saying uncured bacon gets the message across better.