Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:48:25 -0700
R > If fat only comprises 65% of the diet then 35% is made up of
carbohydrates and proteins.

Sorry, I didn't communicate well that this is a low carber and she is
assuming therefore that very little if any energy will be derived from
dietary carbohydrates.

R > Much of that 35% will also be burned as glucose, as excess
proteins are converted to glucose...

Yes. Her point is that is you are getting at least 65% of your energy
needs from fat, there is not sufficient protein remaining to be able
to "kick you out of" ketosis.

R > While the body may be using mostly fats for energy, it will use
some glucose as well. It isn't an on or off thing. It is a question of
proportions. Typically, the more fats that are consumed as energy, the
deeper the level of ketosis, but that also varies from one individual
to the next. My wife and I can eat identical meals for several days.
She will reach moderate to deep ketosis (40 to 80 mg/dL) while I will
only experience mild ketosis (about 15 mg/dL).

I did not know that.  Interesting.  So if even a tiny amount of excess
protein is consumed, glucose is produced (rather inefficiently) via
gluconeogenesis which the body will burn preferentially, therefore
reducing ketogenesis?

Jim