From:
Alex Shvartsman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:39:55 EDT
Here is a copy of a letter I sent to a friend interested in the Paleo Diet.
Some may find it interesting.

Hi Amy,

The basic 3 ingredients of the Paleo diet is : 1. Lean meats 2. veggies
(except potato, yam, sweet potato and other starchy tubers) 3. Fruits
each meal should consist of 35-50% meats and the rest fruits and veggies.

Lean meats include: Turkey breast, chicken breast,( not legs or wings-too
fatty),
pork loin trimmed of fat, lean beef (top round, sirloin skirt steaks), organ
meats, game meats, all fish.

Oils include olive, Canola and flax.  only cook with olive and Canola, use
flax in salad dressing

Nuts: walnuts are the best (best Omega 6 to omega 3 ratio)

Breakfast:
1. Cold salmon or chicken breast with an assortment of veggies (baby carrots,
sliced green pepper, broccoli florets, Cherri tomatoes, and a fruit.
2. egg omelet (1-2 whole eggs and 1-2 egg whites and whatever veggies
 you want to throw in, 1 fruit

Lunch: really same as breakfast (1) I just vary the protein, veggies and the
fruit

Dinner: Same as Lunch

I generally eat red meats for dinner with a salad or sauteed greens as my
veggies

By varying the protein sources, veggies and fruits I keep the meals
interesting and the possibilities are endless.

Some tips: I recently began buying kale, Swiss chard, spinach and other
greens.  I saute them with olive or Canola oil with garlic, onions and
garlic-pepper. Quick easy and delicious. towards the end of cooking I throw
in some diced meat (chicken, turkey, steak or pork loin) and viola! A quick
meal. fruit for dessert.

Today I invented a new dish:  1/2 head of small green cabbage sliced in 1 to
1 1/2 inch squares, 1 onion diced in large pieces, 2 green sour apples
quartered and then thinly sliced, 2 pork loins, diced. Saute all except for
apple in oil until meat is cooked, add apple saute for another 5-10 min,
done!  you may use chicken or turkey!

I make up zip lock baggies of mixed veggies for my veggie portion. Then it's
simple enough to grap cold fish or chicken or turkey breast or sliced red
meat and a fruit for dessert to make any meal.

takes a bit of planning and preparation, but don't all meals?

On days off I like to make omelets.

You will need to supplement vitamin D (since you will nor be drinking
fortified milk, and the other source of vit D is the sun. which you avoid.

I use cod liver oil as my vit D supplement. it is also rich in omega 3 and
other nutrients.  I also take  vit ester C 500 mg, vit E 400 mg, selenium 200
mg and 1 tbsp of flax seed oil on days I do not put it on salad (omega 3
source)

Salad ressing: Flax seed oil, lemon and black peper

hope this helpds to get you started

Alex