From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:08:06 -0500
On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:48:31 -0500 Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Any female paleos out there have good experiences with this way of
> eating and its effect on their hormones and/or menopause.

Ardeith writes:
Menopause is the next big money maker for the drug companies....
Some 3.5 million female baby-boomers are just entering the
Change lately, and they are ready candidates for prescriptions
for HRT.....so they can remain young and sexy looking.....
Sorry, ladies, but Ma Nature did not intend you to remain
young and sexy looking into your fifties and sixties....Ma
Nature puts a stop to your procreation at an age that would
allow you time to raise your last baby before you depart this
earth.......

Menopause is being hyped as a medical problem instead of
a very natural end of a woman's fertility and reproduction
cycle........Menopause is not, not, NOT a disease or
malfunction of the human female body.......and the scare
tactics used by the drug industry are just that - tactics.
A woman who eats a healthy diet, and gets adequate
exercise, and is otherwise healthy, does not need HRT
to prevent osteoporosis (sp?).......the last ad I saw on
TV about this said that HRT "MAY prevent heart disease,
MAY prevent breastcancer, and MAY prevent osteoporosis"

But they don't tell you that while a woman may lose some
of her ability to build bone while going through menopause,
she will regain that ability once the process is finished.....and
taking HRT extends the process for years.    They also don't
tell you that most doctors require a woman to have mammograms
while on HRT......because HRT can increase a woman's chances
of developing breast cancer........and I also question the advisablity
of subjecting the glands in the breast to x-rays for a mammogram....
if you don't have breast cancer already, seems to me that bombarded
those delicate glands with x-rays would certainly cause it.......

I will grant that women who have extremely painful menses, or
women who have extreme reactions during menopause, or
those tiny slim women who are the ones most subject to
osteoporosis can benefit from HRT....even with the associated
risks of taking it.......but only the drug companies benefit
in the long run by promoting HRT.......so you enter menopause
in your 40's...usually....and go on HRT.....for the next thirty
years or so....because when you stop taking HRT....you still
get to go through menopause.......so who profits by keeping
healthy women on a drug for 30 years??????

As I am post-menopausal, I can't really speak to the subject
of whether Paleo eating has any effect on all this....I can only
say that I feel better than I have for many years............

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.