Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 05:30:19 -0700
This is from the AUTISM list, thought paleo people would find it
interesting. I have kind of lost my panic over the sun, I don't use
sunscreen much any more, just limit the amount of time I am in the sun. My
brother was over the other day and was absolutely panicked about the sun,
would not even go in it, even with sunscreen, made me  realize how much
people have been made afraid of the sun.

This is another one of those items you could put under the title, WHO KNEW!!
____________________
I wanted to tell you a story about a very serious thing.  We still use
 sun screen on our whole family, but we are more cautious now.
I tell you this only to make you more aware and use caution.

When Zack was 2 years old I put on the waterproof sun screen like I
always had.  I don't know how but he got some in his eyes. Most likely
from his hands. It happens so easily at that age or any age really. He
started  screaming!!  So I tried to flush it out with water.  But guess
what? Didn't matter...Remember *WATERPROOF.*  So I just held him and
let him cry, thinking the salty tears would flush it all out.  But it
got
worse. I called the poison control center.  They told me to RUSH Zack
to ER NOW!!  I was surprised. I got him there and they rushed me back
without a second to spare. They started flushing his eyes out with
special medications.  Anyway, I found out for the first time that MANY
kids each year lose their sight to waterproof sun screen. It burns the
eye and they lose complete sight.!!!  I was appalled. I could not
believe the sun screen we use to help keep our kids safe from skin
cancer can make them go blind!

Well I made a big stink about it. I wrote the sun screen company and
they admitted to the problem but they said something to the fact that
the
seriousness of getting skin cancer is much worse then the chance of
going blind. I think it's wrong if just one child goes blind! They
should
change ingredients or should at least have a huge warning on it. But
they claim that if you put a huge warning on it then parents won't use
it do
to fear. I kind-of get that but there needs to be a change. We did this
huge article in our big city and went on the news warning parents.
Education along with the importance of using it.

Well anyway Zack did go blind for 2 days, it was horrible.  So please
be careful!!! Don't stop using sun screen, just be very careful your
children don't touch there eyes for at least 15-20 minutes after you
put it on!! And if your child does get it in his/her eyes then get to
the
emergency room at once!