From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 13:43:17 -0800
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the most interesting question.  As Alec said, ketosis can
vary according to  activity level as well as amount of fat, protein, and
total calories  consumed. It can also vary according to variations in
base metabolic rates, intestinal absorptive capacities, gall bladder
health and output, and various hormonal factors including ghrelin and
leptin production. There is some evidence to suggest that sex hormones
also play a significant role in the variations of ketosis from one
person to the next.

The usual way to measure level of ketosis at home is to use ketostix.
(Their presence can also be measured in the breath and the blood, but
not with Ketostix... I tried it just to see if they would detect them in
either blood or saliva and was unsuccessful.) Urinate on the reagent
area of one stick ( a strip of paper with a blob of reagent on one side
of one end). The reagent will change color indicating the relative
quantity of ketones in the urine. A color scale appears on the side of
the container which allows you to hold the wet end of the stick near the
color chart and identify the closest match. The scale goes from:
negative/0/0; to Trace/5/0.5;  small/15/1.5; moderate/40/4.0; and the
last two color patches fall under the same "large" category - large/80/8
and large/160/16
The first measurement is milligrams per deciliter and the second one is
milimoles per liter. I prefer to use the mg/dL scale because it uses
whole numbers.

One of the reasons that counting calories in ketosis is meaningless is
because we are excreting many calories in our breath and urine while in
ketosis. Our livers make some ketone bodies under most circumstances but
I have read that ketone production diminishes with increases of
insulin.  Some cells, particularly the heart,  preferentially use ketone
bodies for energy so, under normal circumstances, these cells use up all
the ketone bodies produced.  It is only when our reliance on fat for
energy increases that we produce excess ketones which are excreted in
urine and in our breath.

About 80% of deaths among those with type 2 diabetes are due to heart
attack or stroke. I have often wondered just how much of that is caused
by the diminished availability of ketone bodies to fuel the heart. If
that is a factor in diabetes-related heart and vascular disease, then
the use of exogenous insulin and the various drugs that enhance cellular
uptake of glucose despite insulin resistance are actually moving in the
wrong direction.

I'm sorry to go on and on, but I am wrestling with some of these complex
interactions myself, especially as they relate to seasonal variations in
fat accumulation and loss.

Best Wishes,
Ron