From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:18:05 -0700

This advice sounds a little like the advice just given by Amadeus Schmidt-- a
fast which will change the body's Ph balance.  I find it somewhat odd that you
are attacked for giving this advice, which presumably wil have the same effect
(no one in their right mind would recommend that Christy NOT drink plenty of
water), so the advice is identical.  Amadeus Schmidt gave a scientific defense
for doing so (a rapidly changing Ph balance creates an unfavorably chaotic
environment for bacteria) and you didn't -- but the advice is identical.  If it
is so that the main problem that paleos suffer from is ultimately from
infections, and a water fast creates a basic body environment, and a high-meat
diet creates an acidic environment, and if a rapidly changing environment is bad
for bacteria, as Amadeus suggests, then I don't see why water fasts aren't a
good idea in general.  If Amadeus is wrong about why they work, but they still
work, fine.  As for me, if I become sick, I will use whatever wisdom I can
find.  In an emergency, I plan to go to an emergency room.  But for recurring
problems, I intend to find natural, HG-tested solutions FIRST, and if they fail,
add modern medical approaches in the least destructive way.  This gives me the
best chances I think.

Erik