From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:15:16 -0500
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Ken Stuart wrote:

> (2) There is no exact ratio of C/P/F in any of Sears' books.   The term
> "40/30/30" was popularized by Ann Gittleman in a widely distributed cheap
> paperback.   The actual Zone diet, as explained by Sears, requires you to adjust
> the ratios depending on whether you are hungry or not, and by whether you are
> mentally foggy or not.

Ken, Sears certainly did promulgate the 40-30-30 ratio in his
first book, leaving relatively little wiggle room.

_Enter the Zone_, p. 65: "And what is the beneficial ratio of
protein to carbohydrate?  The ideal is about 0.75--that's three
grams of protein to every four grams of carbohydrate.  That's the
ideal.  But there's a range of beneficial protein-to-carbohydrate
ratios that are still Zone-favorable--between about 0.6 and 1.0.
Not higher, not lower."  That's Sears writing, not Gittleman.

On page 71, Sears -- not Gittleman -- offers figure 7.3,
captioned "Caloric Composition of a Zone-favorable diet."  It's a
pie chart illustrating the 40-30-30 ratio.  Again, on page 72, in
figure 7-4 we see the Zone-favorable diet represented as
40-30-30.

These comments and diagrams are all in the chapter entitled
"Boundaries of the Zone."  Note also the "Rules of the Road to
Reach the Zone," on p. 96 of the chapter "Your Dietary Road Map
to the Zone."  Rule 2 is: "Every time you eat, make sure you
maintain a 1:1 ratio of protein to carbohydrate blocks."

Todd Moody