From:
Ralph Carabetta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:43:51 EDT
The body is supposed to maintain a certain alkalinity and acidity balance (pH
balance) with suprisingly little tolerance. Clearly, the foods we eat can
alter this balance. It is believed that certain marine minerals from coral
such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphor, iron, sulphur, silicon,
chromium, manganese, copper and zinc when added to liquids - like a sand "tea
bag" - raises the pH-value in liquids from acidic to alkaline. It is also
supposed to remove the taste and odor of chlorine in chlorinated water.
Certain Okinowans believe that their general good health and longevity can be
attributed, in large part, to the water they drink - which is rich in
coralcalcium and coral magnesium.

I've no doubt that if this is the case then certainly some pH index could
apply to solid foods as well. There is a company in Sweden called the
"Preventive Medical Group" that sells these tea bag-like bags of sand
although I do not know how to reach them. I wish I knew more, but I know
there is probably good reason to get a better understanding of the pH values
in what we consume and how it might effect us.

In your friends case I'd say she has nothing to lose.