From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 14:58:16 -0400
Generally speaking, intelligence can be (roughly) measured by comparing the
size of the brain to the body, and forming the appropriate ratio. So, if you
have two hominid species of a similiar size, but one has a bigger brain, you can
be sure that that one will be more intelligent, as a species, than the other.

However, here's more data re Homo Erectus and other hominids which clinches
the issue that their their intelligence was increasing in tandem with growing
brain-size:-

"Homo erectus, or erect man, appeared by around 1.8 million years ago. The
most significant difference between Homo erectus and the previous species is
the large increase in their cranial capacity. Throughout the existence of homo
erectus, their cranial capacity increased from approximately 750 to 1250cc.
This expanding brain case came to dominate the shrinking face, and foreheads
began to develop in the later members of the species most likely as a result of
a growing frontal lobe. The frontal lobe is the part of the brain that controls
many of our higher functions such as foresight, concentration, and reasoning.
Homo erectus had heavy teeth, thick eyebrow ridges, a receding chin, and
stood about 5 feet and 6 inches tall."

taken from:-

http://tinyurl.com/5ghz79

Geoff

On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:46:14 -0500, Paleogal <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> [...]
in the brain.   Oliva