From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:58:43 -0600
Ken Stuart wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 02:17:39 -0700, you wrote:
>

>>i am amazed at the naivety of that comment .you didn't understand , they
>>question the corporate structure itself to be able provide quality service
>>to society as a whole  .
>>

>A corporation is a group of people.
>
>It's not a group of trees, a group of buffalo, or a group of rocks.

On the soapbox:

A corporation is an artificial entity with the rights of a human being,
but not the
responsibilities.  The principal goals of a corporation are two: growth
and profit.  Profit
feeds growth.  A corporation is not a group of people.  A group of people is
a partnership, a club, a government, a family, etc.

Unlimited growth is the goal of a cancer cell.  Unlimited growth is the
ideal
of a corporation.  The people serve the corporation and if they want to
continue
getting their paycheck, they will do their best to meet the
corporation's goals
of profit and growth.  Along the way they can choose to be more or less
socially aware, environmentally aware, quality-conscious, etc., but growth
and profit are first.

Because of tax and liability laws, even very small companies become
corporations
for good reason and often behave more like single-proprietors or
partnerships.
I'm not saying that all corporations are evil, or that everyone working
for one is evil.
But the larger the corporation, the more it becomes interested in its
own benefit
rather than the benefit of the community and environment.

We've had some talk recently about how the big corporations are jumping on
the Atkins bandwagon with highly-processed artificial foods whose only
benefit
is that they are nominally low in carbs (even this is not always true).
I hesitate to
think what would happen if the big corporations jumped on the paleo
bandwagon.

Off the soapbox

    Lynnet