From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 07:57:04 -1000
Don:
>The only shrimp that you can eat raw is aba emi. The season for it should
>be starting very soon, and will last until March.

The Japanese have decided all sorts of things about what seafood is edible
raw, but if the smell and taste are attractive nearly any seafood can be
eaten raw, and has been by some culture around the world. (I suppose
caution should be taken about red tides though.)

I have eaten three or four varieties of fresh shrimp raw. They are very
easy to dry as well. (The head is much tastier than the body but is the
first to break down so it is very hard to find fresh whole shrimp away from
the coasts where they are caught.) My favorite was the very tiny "rock
shrimp" which can be netted in Florida waters.  According an old fishmonger
in Milwaukee (Empire Fish on Watertown Plank Road) these little shrimp used
to be tossed away by commercial shrimpers as unmarketable, but are now
finding a small following. They were available chilled, not frozen, and it
was easy to dry whatever quantity wasn't attractive raw...

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft