From:
TrombaHam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:17:03 -0600
Hi all:

Something amazing happened.  Dr. Robert Eckel, who was quoted in the
CNN.com article entitled "Heart Association to Warn Against Low-Carb
Diets, " and to whom I wrote an eLetter which I posted earlier today to
the group, has responded to me; quickly, courteously, and reasonably.
While I can't say I've converted him to "the way," it is heartening that
he responded at all.  Here is the response:

*************************************************************************************************************************

Mr. Spindler:

Thank you for taking the time to write.  And, congratulations on your
success; may it continue.
Are you still losing weight?  What is your current diet composition?
This
is important in terms of what happens to your LDL cholesterol.  The
issues
with programs like the one you're following is the lack of
scientifically
defensible data.  It would be nice to see controlled studies head to
head
comparing the short-term and long-term success of the high protein/high
fat
approach you are using and that of a high carbohydrate diet matched for
calories.  The literature can support any position you'd like to take.
just know that more than a few patients I've seen have the paradigm
described in the CNN report.  I know there's work ongoing in this area
now;
hopefully the truth will follow.  At present, however, the evidence of a

diet high in protein and fat, despite the weight reduction, which is
devoid
of fruits and vegetables, vitamins and other nutrients is not one which
would encourage the public or patients at risk for heart disease to
follow.
I am open to solid data however and would welcome any to follow, even if

contradictory to where the bulk of evidence currently lies.  Obesity is
result of an imbalance in energy, i.e. more in than out, not fat vs
carbohydrate.  Nevertheless in closing, my best to you and your health.
Thanks again for taking the time to drop this line.

Most sincerely,

Robert H. Eckel, MD
Professor of Medicine