From:
Wayne Wynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 10:20:38 -0700
Jim Swayze wrote:
 >Agreed that we are *as hunter gatherers* a vital piece of the whole.
But I'd disagree with the idea that we're just another animal.
 >Contrary to what we've been taught by cultural anthropologists the
last hundred years, humans have always considered themselves the
 >highest animal.  And we are, having in us as we do the power of
reason, hope, and faith.

Maybe you are demonstrating the very point I am making. You say how
humans are unique from other species. Remember that that is based on our
current knowledge. Also, lots of animals have talents superior to humans
and some have what appear to be unique abilities. Rupert Sheldrake has
written that our "sixth sense" is more like a seventh because there are
organisms that demonstrate something outside our five senses.

Unique qualities are not necessarily superior. But you refer to reason,
hope and faith as if they are. Well, humans have done a lot with them,
but we might wipe ourselves out, too. The more we learn about our place
in the universe, the less significant we appear to be.