From:
Janice Hopper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:43:47 -0400
From:    Kathy Schwinghammer
Subject: Re: "soft intro" to paleo?

>    As for another comment that "The truth is >that if you live on the planet

>Earth today and you do not eat Paleo then you >probably don't want to do so.
>The information is out there in so many forms.  >Even Dr Atkins is close
>enough for the normal SAD folks." -- I can't >agree with that comment either.

>I'm 34, I read a lot, and I read in a variety of >different genres and
fields,
>and even though I've been interested in health >and diet for years, I'd never

>heard of Paleolithic Nutrition until I stumbled >across a mention of it on an

>acquaintance's webpage.

That's pretty much what happened to me too.  I was trying to figure out if
there might be a dietary cause for why I felt so rotten so much of the time.
It was while I was researching celiac disease that I came across a link to
Paleo eating.  I'd never heard of a paleo diet before, and had generally
pooh-poohed low-carb diets as fads (brainwashed by years of
"you-gotta-eat-carbs-for-energy" party line from the times I did a lot of
bicycling.)

Timing in life is an issue too.  I discovered the paleo diet at the same time
a personal crisis came up in my life.  I knew I was going to have to make some
changes in how I lived, so I just added "major diet change" to the list,
figuring I'd see how it worked.

--  Ken Stuart wrote:

>Most people can simply not deal with "never >eating another piece of
>toast" to quote a good friend of mine.
>
>Eating differently than everyone else can be >socially and logistically
>difficult, and usually only possible when the >person is enthusiastic and
>WILLFUL.

I'll agree with this too.  It's pretty tough when the boss brings in doughnuts
at work, or when we go to the in-laws and they want to have pizza, or franks
and baked beans, or when the vegetables are all corn on the cob, beans or
peas, or rice.
I'm going off to music camp in a week, and I'm trying to figure out what kind
of backup food I can take with me in case all the school meals are largely
made up of non-paleo foods.  Only my dogged persistence keeps me going at
times like these!  Persistence, and the fact that I feel SO much better than I
did when I was eating SAD.  That, and the fact that I've lost 22 lbs helps
too!

Janice in GA
still turning down
banana pudding, but