Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:19:27 -0700
Let me say first, Robert, that I really enjoy your comments.  They are
thoughtful and well informed.

Robert > [Cordain's *Paleo Diet for Athletes*] was aimed at endurance
athletes, which I am not, but it does point up a possible problem with
the paleo diet, one which I wanted to throw out here for discussion.

The first problem is this: I'm not sure humans are meant for endurance
sports, at least not in the quantities modern endurance athletes do.
There may have been the occasional endurance hunting (or wartime)
event, but not very often.  We would choose the easiest method to
obtain the greatest amount of food.  Chasing a wildebeest around until
it drops dead would be the exception rather than the rule.

Robert >If I take the book's advice and include some targeted carbs
(like oats, potatoes, yams, etc targeted around workouts), would that
be giving up the long-term benefits of being on the diet?

Yes, especially if you're not doing endurance exercise.