From:
Lynda Bryson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:58:15 -0800
> > .....I read a book by a man who spent several
seasons in the Arctic  studying the wolves there...>>

L. David Mech, a wildlife research biologist with the
Biological Services Div. of the U.S. Geological
Survey, and world-renowned expert on the wolf, has
studied wolves in the wild full time since 1958.  He's
written several books about the wolf, two of them
about his studies of the Artic wolf.  The first,
published in 1988, was "The Artic Wolf: Living With
the Pack" in which he described the time he spent
observing wolves in the Artic.  He wrote a follow-up
to that book, published in 1997, "The Artic Wolf: Ten
Years With the Pack."  He's also the author of a book
of photographs, "Wolves of the High Artic."

I don't have these books, so I don't know if either of
them could be the book you are remembering.  But I do
have a copy of "The Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of
an Endangered Species."  During the '60s Mech studied
wolves at the Isle Royale National Park in Michigan
and published this book in 1970, which is considered
by many to be the best single source of the ecology
and habits of the wolf.  Despite the length of time
since its original publication (it's still in print),
much of the data is still up to date.  A must-have
reference for anyone interested in this subject.

When the U.S. government decided to reintroduce wolves
to Yellowstone in the early '90s, they called on Mech
to lend his expertise to the project.

Lynda Bryson (and 2 canis lupus familiaris)