Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 07:48:40 -0700
Oliva > I'm at a loss to understand the running.  Why pound your bones into the ground?  I'm not so sure this is a good thing.  I think paleo man didn't run unless he HAD to.

Thanks for asking.  Let me start by saying that I don't believe there's much argument that, at least for men, infrequent and intense exercise is the best.  The requirements for the perfect exercise call for variable resistance, single sets to exhaustion of between four and ten exercises.  Nautilus machines were the world's finest tools -- too bad they're not still around.  There are some almost-as-good machines and then free weights.

I do believe running's an absolutely natural, paleo activity.  But never every day -- I do three times a week.  Why do I run instead of lifting weights, a clearly superior activity?  It's an experiment based on both Phinney's research as well to see if I, at 41 years old, can get back below 7 minutes a mile in what used to be my event: the 5K.

Jim Swayze
www.fireholecanyon.com