From:
"T. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 21:45:03 -0700
Mary wrote:

> My calves/legs still ache. Could this be too much protein and not enough
> fat? I should admit I occasionally take a calcium /magnesium supplement to
> try  and make this aching go away. What is this a symptom of? Should I
take
> some potassium? I get confused as to which supplements we should take and
> how much as supposedly on paleo we don't need supplements. but my legs are
> bothering me so much, I  almost want to go back to gluten/junk food!

I've experienced aching limbs on a lower-carb, higher protein diet. I didn't
know how to deal with it at the time, so I just went back to junk food. But
I've recently read (I think in "Protein Power") that low potassium is the
likely culprit. "Paleolithic Prescription" (what's with the alliterative
diet
book titles?) emphasizes the importance of the sodium/potassium ratio in
recreating a stone age diet. I don't think they mention aching limbs though.

For a supplement, you could switch to "No Salt", or "Half Salt" which
replace
all or some of the sodium chloride with a potassium salt. Some fruits are
also good
sources. Bananas and kiwis come to mind.