From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:07:10 -0600
From: "Hilary McClure" wrote:
> This line of discussion is pretty loopy. I don't know about the adrenal
> glands, but I do know that there is a HUGE and growing population of
> domestic cats in this country these days, and that they are breeding
> prolifically on commercial COOKED cat food, canned and dry. Pottenger's
> cats couldn't reproduce, probably because he didn't know they needed
> taurine (not known until 1975).

Note that Pottenger's cats reproduced quite well on an all
raw-food diet. But if the *exact same diet* was cooked,
the cats developed problems, some of which included
breeding problems, but not exclusively.

If taurine was the problem, note that it must have been
eliminated in the cooking process of the diet Pottenger
fed the cats, as the same diet in its raw state produced
the healthiest cats.

Some of the other problems he described were: heart problems;
nearsightedness and farsightedness; underactivity and
inflammation of the thyroid; infections of the kidney, liver,
testes, ovaries and bladder; arthritis and inflammation of the
joints; inflammation of the nervous system with paralysis and
meningitis.

I'm not going to say that there are never animals that get
sick in the wild, but in general, animals eating their
food naturally in the wild rarely develop degenerative
diseases. Compare the health of animals in the wild
to that of animals eating the scraps off of humans'
tables and/or dry/canned food.

And by the way, I have a cat that I have never fed anything
but canned or dry food and I know its mother ate the
same way. My cat does have reproductive issues. No
that's not scientific...but it is worthy of noting.

Jay