From:
Joseph Berne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2009 08:20:49 -0400
I've been trying to resolve my own concerns on this point for the last month
or so (though to be fair I haven't devoted much time to the research).
There is real research showing that certain types of foods, when eaten,
promote loss of calcium, most probably from the bones.  Unfortunately, all
the research I found was within the context of the Standard American Diet -
for obvious reasons they aren't comparing people eating paleo or raw paleo
or zero carb with anybody else, because the scientific community doesn't
care much about zero carb or paleo dieters.

I will say that there is some evidence that a meat based diet will cause
calcium loss.  However, William (from this list) has indicated that there is
some evidence that eating that meat raw will make a difference (I don't get
this, but there's a lot about this issue I don't understand).

One possible mechanism to save bones when eating a meat-based acid-promoting
diet is the fact that we should be getting a lot more vitamin D3 and
(possibly) K2-Mk4 than people on a lower fat diet.  In the presence of
adequate levels of those two vitamins the whole calcium loss thing might go
away - those vitamins really change the way your body handles minerals.
That might more than make up for the acid- base issue.  Again, it's going to
be REALLY hard to find good research on this.  Look at almost any dietary
study and you won't find any group (experimental or control) that eats a
diet comparable to a paleo diet in terms of the nutrients available.

If this person found their teeth and gums feeling better it could be because
of this increased availability of fat soluble vitamins.  I'm still not sure
it's critical to eat that meat raw (I hope it's not, as I personally can't
stomach raw meat), but it's entirely possible that a meat and fat diet could
be entirely safe for bones.

--
Visit my Training blog:
http://karateconditioning.supersized.org