From:
Kathy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:54:07 -0400
Hi all,

I've been lurking on the list for a couple of weeks now. I became
interested in low-carb eating when I first heard about the Heller's
"Carbohydrate Addict's Diet". I'm also one of those that feeds my dogs
(Golden Retrievers) a species appropriate (very Paleo) diet.

The reason I'm perplexed: I can't seem to lose weight on this program. I
searched the archives on the subject of low/no weight loss, but didn't
really find anything that seemed to relate to my particular situation. So I
thought I'd run it by y'all.

I did very well on the Heller's CAD program last year, as long as I had an
incentive (major surgery - a hysterectomy - looming that the Dr. said would
be *much* easier if I could lose some weight). I lost about 70 lbs, and
reached my lowest weight last October. After the surgery last July 14, my
appetite was off, a lot of low carb things didn't appeal to me. Ever since,
I've had trouble staying "on the wagon". I've gained about 20 lbs. back
since last October. FWIW, I'm on 2 mg. of Estradiol per day.

So in June, I started investigating the Protein Power, Atkins and
Neanderthin programs. For three weeks, I did what I consider to be
ultra-low carb, no more than 10-15 g per day, all from veggies. I did lose
3 lbs. early on (given the timing, I figure it was water-weight). Then
nothing. Just sat there. I realise low-carb is healthy in ways other than
weight loss (all my blood tests are excellent), but I really, really would
like to dump another 50 lbs. Although I didn't do any testing with those
ketone strips, I'm pretty sure I didn't go into ketosis.

What I can't figure out is why the Heller's program worked so well. A
typical day's intake was 2100 - 2500 calories and around 100 g of carbs,
about 90 of which were eaten at the evening meal ("reward meal") in 60
minutes or less. On the ultra-LC plan(s) it was closer to 1400 calories per
day (I just wasn't that hungry) and as I said, 10 - 15 g of carbs. Sheesh.
Can anyone offer any explanations for this? One would think that the
elimination of all those carbs should have had me dropping a lb. a day! (I
have a friend on the Suzanne Somer's plan that was losing at that rate. She
had to increase her carbs, also her salt consumption since her BP suddenly
dropped to low-normal after years of being too high).

TIA for any advice or ideas you can offer.

Kathy
mailto:[log in to unmask]