From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:22:22 +0000

Re Inuit comments:- I was specifically referring to William's ill-informed comment claiming that Middle-eastern civilisations based on grains had a lack of invention and a lack of genius. This is so obviously wrongheaded and fanatical that it needed to be addressed. As regards the Inuit, I'm sure they were very good at surviving in the Arctic, but I somewhat doubt that they ever produced the equivalent of the pyramids or were the first to invent writing etc. In short, grains damaged human health but they were also critical for civilisation to start.

Re Romans:- The Romans were dependent on grain-producing colonies in North Africa, but the real problem seems to be  that they depended on an economy based on slavery,which indirectly led to  a massive drop in population, allowing hordes to invade etc.

Geoff

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/