Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 14:20:14 -0400
Jane posted this:
>>I bought coconut milk the other da ; the "milk" was mostly solid.  I shook it
>>as directed, but it was still mostly solid when I emptied the can.  I stirred
it up and it was quite thick.  Is this the way it is supposed to be?

My response:
Yes, it is often very thick.  I've noticed a variation with the seasons and
with different batches. Coconut milk comes from blending coconut meat with
water; that's what makes it thick.  Don't toss out the water in the can; it
is part of the "milk."  In warm weather, canned coconut milk will be liquid
at room temperature.  When cool or cold, or stored in a cool place, the
mixture in the can may appear to separate and be thick or chunky on top and
watery on the bottom, or vice-versa.  This is normal.  Donıt toss it out
unless it smells sour like spoiled milk, which is rare!

If too thick to blend by hand, puree it in a blender or food processor
before using it and always transfer an opened can to a glass jar, then cover
and refrigerate.  If mixture turns sour or moldy, discard, then start over.
You should use it up with one week OR freeze in ice cube trays for longer
storage.

Thai Kitchen is the best brand of coconut milk Iıve found; itıs free of
sugars, preservatives, sulfites and other additives.

Rachel Matessz
The Healthy Cooking Coach (who is working on a paleo diet cookbook!)