From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 17:12:06 CDT
>PHD PHD PHD Karren Kellock PHD PHD PHD:
>I don't want to get too legalistic, but so often I hear "salads are so >low
>in carbs" so people don't count carbs.  But a salad can be 30 >carbs--and
>if you're thinking it's nothing, you can easily have a 70->carb day and
>wonder why you aren't losing weight....many people have >rejected lowcarb
>dieting for that reason. remember: a tomato is 6, a >cuc is 6, 1/2 lettuce
>is 6--there you already have 18 carbs.

70g of carbs per day in an individual who weight trains doesn't amount to
squat as far as insulin production assuming those carbs are from fibrous
vegies and spaced throughout 3-4 meals per day.  The exception is those with
extreme cases of insulin resistance.  And BTW, trading in a few carb
calories for a lot of fat calories to treat insulin resistance isn't going
to accomplish much b/c with all the extra calories the body will start
secreting insulin anyway.

I'm going to very quickly draw up a 70g carb diet that works assuming the
individual has proper thyroid function, weight trains, and doesn't have
insulin resistance.

Meal 1:
25g carbs from salad stuff (I don't care what particular vegies)
30g lean protein serving (lean meat, fish, etc. whatever you want)
1/2 T Cod
Total Calories = 250 cal

Meal 2:
carbs (same as Meal 1)
dinner (same as Meal 1)
1/2 T olive oil on salad
Total Calories = 285

Meal 3:
(same as Meal 2)
Total Calories = 285

Meal 4:
(same as meal 2)
Total Calores = 285

***Total Calories for Day = 1105 cal***

Let me mention a few things.  This diet doesn't have to taste bad.  Take
some good lettuce, chop up some tasty vegies, sprinkle some grilled chicken
breast on top, and then drizzle the olive on top of that.  It tastes just
fine.

The person should be weight training (example: full body workout every 4-8
days, whatever suits your individual recovery ability).  Throw in a little
cardio to keep the liver converting T4 to T3 (example: 25 min powerwalking
on a treadmill with the incline up a few degrees.  Do 3-6 times per week,
whatever your preference is.)  BTW, there's nothing holy about the examples
in parenthesis, it's just a suggestion.

As long as the person doesn't have a thyroid condition or extreme insulin
resistance, then low fat, low carb, high protein diets work.  Why?  B/c the
insulin to glucagon ratio is favorable for fat loss and the overall calories
are less than the bodies basal metabolic rate.  When the BMR is higher than
caloric intake, the result is fat loss - nothing new here.

In almost every case I've witnessed (referring to myself, competitive
bodybuilders that I've trained - both naturals and roiders, and even
everyday fitness enthusiasts) fat loss was faster and easier in individuals
following a high protein, low carb, low fat approach.  Ketogenic diets that
are anywhere from 40-70% fat don't work nearly as quickly as the low carb,
low calorie approach.

I just recently finished preparing a bodybuilder for a natural show.
Previously he had been using Duchaine's Bodyopus CKD (cycled ketogenic days)
for all his contests.  He always started 8 weeks out and came in at about
8-9% bodyfat.  I started him on one of my diets 6 weeks out (less than the
usual 8), had him doing less cardio, and he came in at 6% (I personally did
the 7 site pinch test). He placed 5th in the light heavyweight class.  His
highest placing ever.

Another lady I trained was just a fitness enthusiast.  She weight trained
frequently, did 20-30 min of jogging everyday, and hadn't lost a single
pound.  Why? B/c she was eating about 2,500-3000 calories per day.  There
was just no way this woman was going to eat like a bird.  I had her cut out
the caloric dense foods (processed carbs and anything high in fat) and add
in lots of vegies.  She was probably getting 80g of carbs per day from
vegies.  This allowed her to eat a large volume of food and stay full b/c
vegies don't have enough calories in them to amount to much.  I was able to
knock her calories back to 1800-2000 and she has since went from being very
fat (so fat I didn't want to test her b/c I thought it would discourage her
from training or hurt her self esteem) to 19% bodyfat, which is actually
very lean for a woman.  She now has guys hiting on her in the gym on a
regular basis, and it has done wonders for her self esteem.

Justin Hasselman
- not a PHD, but knows what works in real life