From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:29:51 EST
Mark:

Mediterranean diet, wheat not paleo, 5k years not long enough....?

Wheat is paleo, because hunter gatherers gather grass seed, and wheat is
grass. Modern wheat is not paleo, but its Paleolithic ancestor was. Here is
the confusion. We don't know what Paleolithic (Upper or Lower) people ate.
There simply isn't enough evidence. It's too long ago. All the flora and
fauna are different now.

We can only study modern stone age h-g societies as a surrogate (paleo with a
small p).

These societies are highly complex, and their eating habits highly diverse.
They had literally hundreds of different food items. You couldn't possibly
infer any of this from archaeological evidence. It's hard enough when you
actually have living people to interview.

And I'm not sure about the point that 5k years is not long enough for
evolutionary changes. Surely the point is that we haven't changed since the
Paleolithic, and neither have the amerindians. They are, or were until
recently, living the modern version of a paleolithic lifestyle, and had
optimum health. Surely this is all we need to know?

Charles