From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 10:38:51 -0500
> The information is great and
> I was wondering where you live and do you buy seeds and if you do where
> from?  How much land do you have and how is the climate where you live?

There are tons of mail-order catalogs out there.  Raintree
Nursery in Washington has unusual edibles - fruits, nuts and
berries from all over the world.  I've never ordered from
them since I'm way in the east here.  But they're on your
half of the country!  We only have 1.6 acres, but we sit on
a little patch in front of our neighbors' who have 50A.,
40A, and the ones across the road have hundreds.  And our
ridge is right up against one of the largest state parks in
Pennsyvania.  We're up above 2000 feet, so we have about a
foot and a half of snow right now, but summers are warm
(70's, 80's, 90's) and have been very dry lately.

> Any
> suggestions on what might thrive here or resources to check out on the
> subject?

Most garden catalogs have information on what species will
thrive in your zone.  You're probably in zone 6 or 7.  Some
of the varieties I mentioned will work there, others will
not.  I think that Raintree catalog might be a good one to
start with.  They give you lots of info on what will work in
your area.

Good luck!

Lois