From:
Marianne Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:12:22 -0500
Kat said:

I guess this is one of the problems of the words.  When you wrote:

"Are you eating enough fruit during the day? I eat probably half a cup of
berries
in the morning, an orange or mixed fruit during the day, and some more
berries after dinner."

I interpreted that as meaning that you had at least three servings of fruit.

***well, "some more berries after dinner" is usually about two berries. I
probably exaggerated because I don't really like fruit, so it seems like a
lot to me :-). I would say I average 1 to 2 servings a day, because half the
time I only eat 1 serving and the other half I eat 2 servings.

How often do you eat chocolate?

***I usually have one Hershey's kiss, with almonds, almost every day.
Probably because they are mostly nut, they have almost no carbs. I know
chocolate is not paleo but I want life to still be worth living! Also,
amazingly, one kiss doesn't seem to lead to another.

Do you do a lot of exercise?  If I don't go the gym, then I can cut out
complex carbs, but I crave them if I work out.

***I walk for about 30 to 45 minutes most nights, and lift weights two or
three times a week. I've done sports like tennis and racquetball and lifted
weights for the past 15+ years, though, and never noticed that my exercise
level was related to my craving for carbs; the only thing that seems to
produce a craving for carbs for me is eating or thinking about cookies or
cake or muffins or cheese curls . . . mmmm . . . better change topic fast
:-)

***I read that people who have low serotonin levels often crave carbs to
provide tryptophan and other chemicals that help with that deficiency. Might
you have something like that? Also I wonder if the fact that we are inside
all day, sometimes in offices or cubes without any sunshine, can cause a
depression that provokes the desire for carbs? Also the extreme stress and
pressure at software companies can definitely cause the desire for
comforting food that contains soothing substances like tryptophan, and I
think I read in a paleo book that carbs contain that sort of chemical, the
kind that soothe you. Perhaps taking some breaks, taking short walks in the
sun might help?